Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Discovered, Uncovered.

Luke 22:54-62

I have often wished to be discovered. I see now that this is not at all what I want. What I want is for a certain projection of myself to be bought and sold in the marketplace, while the truth about my betrayals, my weaknesses, my ugly selfishness remains safely undisturbed.

What power, what love, what forgiveness did Peter encounter that he could lay bare the story of his cowardice?

What successor of Peter has told such a story about himself since?

While Pope Benedict is still busily trying to shore up orthodoxy, the fires of scandal, of sexual abuse, of high level corruption continue to drive the faithful away in rage and disgust.

What we need now more than a rock-solid confession of the faith is a whole-hearted confession of our faithlessness.


No comments:

Post a Comment